Most of hotel groups have their own membership programs, such as Marriott’s Marriott Bonvoy, Accor Hotels’s Accor Live Limitless etc. After joining the membership, you can accumulate points and SNPs, and get free breakfast, upgrade room and more. Find our more on How to book luxury hotel for cheap.
If you’ve never learned about hotel loyalty programs, you probably don’t know how to choose among the many loyalty programs. This article will give you all the information you need to choose the membership plan that suits you.
We have selected a total of 5 global TOP hotel membership programs for comparison:
Hotel brand and quantity comparison
The more hotel brands, the more choices from low-end to high-end hotels for members. The greater the number of hotels, the more options there will be for hotel members.
Marriott has 30 brands and 7,200+ hotels:
- Luxury: Edition, The Ritz-Carlton, The Luxury Collection, Bulgari Hotel Bvlgari, Stregis, W Hotels, JW Marriott
- Advanced: Marriott, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Westin, Le Meridien, Renaissance Hotels, Tribute Portfolio
- Highlights: Courtyard, Four Points, Springhill Suites, Fairfield, Aloft Hotels
- Extended stays: Homes & villas, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Apartments, Element
Hilton has 18 brands and 6,100+ hotels:
- Luxury: Waldorf Astoria, Conrad
- Upscale: Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites Hotels
- Mid-range: Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites, Home2 Suites
IHG brands has 14 brands and 6,000+ hotels:
- Luxury: Six Senses, Kimpton, Regent, EVEN Hotels, Intercontinental
- Upscale: Indigo, Crowne Plaza, Hualuxe, Voco
- Mid-range: Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Staybridge Suites
- Low-range: Holiday Inn Express, Avid, Even Hotels
Accor has 38 brands and 4,000+ hotels:
- Upscale: Fairmont, Raffles, Switzerland, Sofitel, MGallery, Pullman, Grand Mercure, The Sebel, Banyan Tree, Angsana, Cassia, Mantis
- Mid-range: Novotel, Mercure, Adagio, Mama Shelter, Tribe
- Low-range: Ibis, Ibis Styles, Greet, Adagio Access
Hyatt has more than 1,200 hotels across 18 brands:
- Luxury: Park Hyatt, Miraval
- Upscale：Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt, Andaz, Thompson Hotels, The Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Destination Hotels
- Mid-range: Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Residence Club, Hyatt Centric
In terms of the number of hotels and brands, the hotel group ranking is approximately:
Marriott – IHG – Accor – Hilton – Hyatt
Comparison of hotel membership upgrade difficulty
Almost all hotel groups are free to sign up, and new members are generally the lowest level. The upgrade requirements are different for each hotel, so let’s compare the requirements for upgrading high-level membership:
AccorHotels Hyatt members
- Silver: Stay more than 10 nights or spend up to €800
- Gold: Stay more than 30 nights or spend up to €2,800
- Platinum: Stay more than 60 nights or spend up to €5,600
- Diamond Card: from €10,400
- Silver: Stay 4 times or stay 10 nights or accumulate 25,000 base points
- Gold: Stay 20 times or stay 40 nights or accumulate 75,000 base points
- Diamond: 30 stays or 60 nights or 120,000 base points
- Lifetime Diamond: 10-year Diamond membership, can be discontinuous, and accumulates 1000 paid nights
IHG Rewards Club
- Gold: Complete a 7-night stay or accumulate 7,000 Tier Points
- Platinum: Complete a 30-night stay or accumulate 30,000 Tier Points
- Joy Card: Complete a 55-night stay or accumulate 55,000 Tier Points
- Silver: Complete a 10-night stay
- Gold: Complete a 25-night stay
- Platinum: Complete a 50-night stay
- Titanium: Complete a 75-night stay
- Ambassador Card: Complete 100 nights and spend $20,000 or more
World of Hyatt
- Explorer: Complete a 10-night stay or accumulate 25,000 Tier Points
- Adventurer: Complete a 30-night stay or accumulate 50,000 Tier Points
- Globetall: Complete a 60-night stay or accumulate 100,000 Tier Points
Since IHG launched the membership upgrade offer in 2022, the number of nights required to upgrade is the fewest of all hotel groups.
In terms of consumption amount, IHG and Accor upgrades cost the least.
Based on the number of nights required and the amount of consumption, the simplest to the most difficult order for major hotel groups to upgrade is:
IHG – Hilton – Accor – Marriott – Hyatt
In fact, there are many hotel groups that have a quick upgrade activity and do not need to actually stay for dozens of nights to upgrade. For example, AccorHotels members only need 5 nights to upgrade to silver and 15 nights to upgrade in 2022.
Hotel points value comparison
Among all hotel groups, AccorHotels points are considered to be more special, Accor does not sell points, every 2,000 points = 40 euros is a fixed ratio.
The value of points for each hotel group is approximately:
- Hilton Points ($5/1,000 points).
- Accor Points ($22.3/1,000 points).
- IHG Intercontinental Points ($5/1,000 points).
- Marriott Points ($8.75/1,000 points).
- Hyatt Points ($17.14/1,000 points).
All hotel groups launch some points campaign from time to time, such as booking with 2 times points, or with an additional 5,000 points, and so on.
In terms of value of points, the ranking of major hotel membership programs is:
Accor – Hilton – IHG – Marriott – Hyatt
Comparison of the hotel members benefits
Among the benefits of hotel membership, I think the most valuable benefits are Executive Lounge, free breakfast, late check-out, welcome fruit or drink, etc.
According to this standard, hotel members need to achieve the following levels:
- Hilton Gold
- IHG Platinum
- Marriott Platinum
- Accor ALL Platinum
- Hyatt Explorist
In terms of free breakfast benefits, Hilton and Marriott are better, the best reward for points is Hilton. IHG’s membership benefits have long been recognized as the worst of all hotel groups, and breakfast benefits for the most exclusive members are not fully guaranteed and are entirely determined by the hotel.
From the official member benefits, the hotel’s ranking of the benefits to members:
Hilton – Marriott – Accor – Hyatt – IHG
If you’ve never be registered as a hotel member before, I recommend Accor Live Limitless program, their points can be used as money, and Accor hotels has a good quality.
If you travel a lot and often go to a lot of cities, then I recommend Marriott Bonvoy program. After all, Marriott hotels have the largest number of hotels.
If you’re staying at a hotel with mid-budget and know well about the points algorithm, I recommend Hilton Honors membership, it’s easy to upgrades, and membership rights are relatively good.
In addition, if you have a frequent visit, or a favorite hotel, remember to register as a hotel member before booking a room. How to book luxury hotels for cheap?